Thursday, September 1, 2011

How to Skip the Line at Georgetown Cupcake

I admit it; I have hopped on the cupcake bandwagon.  They're the personal pizza of cakes.  They adhere to the 'everything small is cute' law (Have you seen baby shoes lately? C'mon).  You can mix and match or order a dozen of the same.  You can whip them up at home and feel like Martha Stewart.  Cupcakes are amazing and cupcakeries (cupcake bakeries) are popping up everywhere, see my previous post for example.

Georgetown Cupcake is one of the most famous cupcake bakeries around; they even have their own show on TLC called DC Cupcakes.  But anyone even remotely familiar with the bakery knows about the line.  Frequently a block long, the line moves relatively quickly but can still be daunting.  Georgetown Cupcakes has become more than a great local bakery; it's now a tourist destination.

So how do you skip the line at Georgetown Cupcake?  Simple, just skip it.  Literally, skip the line and go around the block to Baked and Wired instead.  This place sells mostly cupcakes but also has a coffee house vibe that's much more relaxed than Georgetown Cupcake.  And if size matters to you, these cupcakes are much bigger than the offerings at their more famous competitor.


I got a chocolate cupcake with peanut butter frosting, which is a favorite combo of mine; a vanilla cupcake with vanilla frosting, a staple that I think can show a bakery's chops; a lemon cupcake with a raspberry creamcheese frosting; and an almond cupcake with peach frosting.  Yum!


The honest truth is that they aren't as good as Georgetown Cupcakes, at least in my opinion.  With the larger cupcake the cake to frosting ratio is a little off for me.  But overall they are great cupcakes and you won't have to wait in line for them.  Georgetown is impossibly cute and if you only have a limited amount of time you'll want to take a stroll, not stand in line. 




3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I made the BEST cupcakes! Ok, it's chocolate strawberry shortcake cupcakes! Basically, you make a super awesome chocolate cupcake. Then, you cut off the top. Put on a large dollop of whipped cream, add some fresh strawberries slices, and put the top back on. Then you can decorate the top with a tiny drop of whipped cream, one small strawberry sliver, and some powdered sugar for effect. My friends were super impressed! Highly recommend! (I'll have to see if I can find the recipe again!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found the recipe. It's recipe #1 if you scroll through the photos. (Not that at the bottom right, the "photo" has 2 pages so you can see all of the recipe.) The original recipe is vegan, but I used real whipped cream instead of the vegan frosting, and I added a little melted chocolate to the batter for the cupcakes themselves. So I guess that makes it no longer vegan, haha.

    http://eatocracy.cnn.com/2011/04/27/changing-the-world-one-vegan-cookie-at-a-time/?iref=allsearch

    ReplyDelete
  3. *Note* that at the bottom right, not "not." haha. Ok, I'm done now...

    ReplyDelete