Friday, December 9, 2011

St. Germain Cocktails

I've seen more and more specialty cocktail lists featuring drinks with St. Germain lately.  I had never heard of the concoction but I enjoyed all the drinks I tried with this intriguing sounding liquer.  St. Germain, I have since learned, is a French, elderflower spirit.  And it is delicious.  


Just this past weekend I had a Sparkling Pear cocktail at Sandrine's that was Grey Goose Poire, St. Germain, and cremant de bourgogne.  It had great pear flavor and none of the sharpness I expected from such a vodka-centric cocktail.  


In my exploration of paper and blogs I found this recipe for The Vieux Mot on http://ohsobeautifulpaper.com/.  






1 oz Gin
1 oz St-Germain
3/4 oz Lemon Juice
1/4 oz Sim­ple Syrup
1/4 oz Cointreau




Sounds yummy, no?  And then there's the Yellow Bicycle which is a half ounce each of St. Germain and Yellow Chartreuse with 4 ounces of Prosecco.  


A friend also gave me a tear-out of cocktail recipes from a St. Germain ad - what ingenious advertising!  It features such treats as the Elderfashioned which is 1/2 part St. Germain, 2 parts bourbon and 2 dashes of Angostura Bitters.  Or the classic St. Germain and Champagne, which in addition to being as simple to make as it sounds, also rhymes!  Add some Chambord and a blackberry for a delicious riff on a Kir Royale.  

No comments:

Post a Comment