Sunday, July 24, 2011

Cocktails!

So I've been told that my last entry was a bit depressing.  And I sort of agree.  So in an attempt to not be a total Debbie Downer (Or alternatively a Negative Nancy, why is there never a male name for whiny, buzzkills?) I've decided to alternate entries about being overeducated and underemployed with entries about fun stuff, like cocktails!  After all, I will eventually find a job and I will need to get used to writing other material. 

Both sets of parents are coming over for a lobster bake tonight and I was in charge of cocktails.  After a less than extensive google search, I settled on "watermelon gin fizz" which I found at http://www.examiner.com/food-in-providence/watermelon-cocktail-recipe-with-bombay-sapphire-gin. It's pretty simple, but takes a bit of time to strain the watermelon.  From what I've tasted so far, it's worth the effort.  You'll need the following:

1 small, seedless watermelon
2 limes
15-20 mint leaves
4 tbs of white sugar
club soda
gin
cheese cloth or a fine strainer

Chop the mint and cut the watermelon into medium sized chunks.  Blend the watermelon, juice of two limes, sugar and mint in a blender.  Strain the juice through a strainer or cheesecloth.  Chill the juice and serve with a shot of gin and a splash of club soda.  Garnish with a lime wedge or sprig of mint. Imbibe!

Some tips:
To chop the mint, first "chiffonade" it by stacking the leaves and rolling them up from the bottom of the leaf to the top.  Then thinly slice from the end of your roll to make strips.  Now that you have thin strips, you can cut them again in the opposite direction to get a fine chop.

To get the most juice out of your limes, microwave each for about thirty seconds.  Be careful; they may be hot when they come out.

I always struggle when ordering cocktails out because I have the taste level of a sorority girl (margaritas and long island iced teas please!) but on occasion I have found some real gems.  For some of the best non-homemade cocktails you'll ever have the pleasure of sipping, check out The Spotted Pig in New York City (http://www.thespottedpig.com/) or Cook and Brown Public House in Providence, Rhode Island (http://cookandbrown.com/). 

Both restaurants have extensive and unique cocktail lists (as well as really delicious food), but I would recommend the Forager's Press at The Spotted Pig and the Bicycle at Cook and Brown.  The details of each of these cocktails are lost in the misty memories of a night when you had really great cocktails, but thanks to menupages.com (http://www.menupages.com/restaurants/the-spotted-pig/menu) I have been able to surmise that the Forager's Press consists of Michter's rye whiskey, chopped apples, honey syrup and lemon juice.  The closest approximation I could find of the Bicycle was a recipe on chow.com for a Yellow Bicycle (http://www.chow.com/recipes/14331-yellow-bicycle), which contains St. Germaine Elderflower liqueur, Yellow Chartreuse, Prosecco and a garnish of lemon zest (I do remember that my particular garnish was lime). 

Whatever your drink of choice always remember that life is better (if not classier) with little paper umbrellas!

No comments:

Post a Comment