Friday, July 22, 2011

Missing the Bagels

I am currently in the process of moving to Boston from New York City.  I never thought I'd be a big city girl, but I adapted to the Big Apple quickly and now, like many New Yorkers who have left the City, find everything else that purports to call itself a city vaguely comical.  I went to Boston on a day of interviews and I felt as though everything needed air quotes.  I walked through "Chinatown" and the "theater district" and it all just felt like a younger sister's attempt to stuff her bra so she could copy what her big sister had.  Nothing is New York, nothing is Broadway, nothing is Mott Street, nothing is Wall Street.  In New York everything was in arm's reach. 

Within a two block radius of our apartment on the Upper East Side there were multiple places to get brunch, flowers, dry cleaning, cupcakes, sushi, shoes, groceries, and that all important New York food item: the bagel.  One of my favorite weekend pastimes was going out for a bagel - a Jewish boy and his shiksa girlfriend with a regular order: everything bagel with lox spread, sesame bagel with scallion cream cheese.  And aside from all the other concerns that go along with any move, we were concerned about keeping this ritual intact.  We knew Boston would be very different and we would miss a lot of the conveniences of Manhattan life.

We haven't found our new bagel place, or our new go-to takeout joint, or date restaurant.  But we'll find those things, and as we do I have a premonition that I'll grow to love this place too.  Now all I need for a successful move is a job...

No comments:

Post a Comment