Saturday, July 23, 2011

Job Hunt pt. I

I had a pretty decent entry-level job in New York.  And then I quit.  My boyfriend, bagel buddy, and roommate got into Harvard Law School.  I knew from the beginning of his application process that I would move with him and Harvard was really a relief from the thought of having to move to Ann Arbor or Durham.  Our lease was ending so I quit rather than try to find a sublet.  I figured it would give my boss, in our small office of two, enough notice to find someone new and it would give me some much-needed vacation time. 

Now two and half months, and fifty applications, later I still don't have a job.  I never thought it would be this difficult now that I have job experience.  After graduation it was hell in this job market.  Despite a degree from Vassar College and multiple internships it took 167 applications and 8 months of unemployment before I found a job.  I came to New York with no savings at all.  I sold my car and my American Girl Dolls from the back of my closet to pay my student loan bills and my first month of rent.  I started this experience with a lot more confidence.  I imagined turning down jobs that weren't exactly what I was looking for, or comparing offers to pick the one that was right for me.  That hasn't materialized. 

I've had six interviews so far.  The first five came in rapid succession while I was still working at my old job.  I felt like a whole new candidate, a successful candidate.  My boss was convinced I would leave New York with a job offer.  You don't get that many interviews and not get an offer, he would say.  My greatest concern was that I would have to start working before our August 1st lease and I would have to find a place to stay or commute.  But since then there have been some bumps along the road...

No comments:

Post a Comment