Monday, October 10, 2011

Whale Watching in Boston

Most of you know I'm not a big animal person, but next to dinosaurs my other animal love is whales.  Whale watching has been on my unofficial bucket list for a while, but I've always been a little nervous about the boat trip.  Then Groupon gave me the last push I needed because you all know I can't say no to a good deal.  For $45, Jake and I got two tickets plus food and photo vouchers.  Normally that's an $118 value!

We had unusually warm 80 plus degree weather for October and super calm seas.  We went over an hour out into the ocean and then played spot the whale.  We looked for splashing and spouting and we eventually saw some whales near other whale watching boats.  We made our way over and I got to commune with the whales.  Well, really I got to see their backs and a little bit of their tales from a moderate distance.  

I would always love to see more whales, but I had a really great time.  I would definitely do it again and next time I wouldn't bring a camera.  Okay, I probably still would, but I would try to keep the camera use to a minimum and just enjoy being out on the ocean and really looking at the whales rather than snapping pics of them.  Especially because without a professional camera, the pictures are not going to come out that great anyway.  

To illustrate that, below are some of the pictures I took and some of the pictures taken with the boat's own cameras.  

My photo of a whale back

My photo of a whale spouting

My photo of a whale tail

Professional photo of two of the whales we saw

Professional photo of a whale tail


No comments:

Post a Comment