Saturday, October 29, 2011

A Homemade Halloween

Let's not let a little snow get us down.  Okay, I admit - it's seriously getting me down.  (Especially living in this city of no cabs and abominable public transportation - okay, done with the Boston rants for the day, I promise).  I remember years past where I could go out in just a costume - no tights, no coats, no umbrellas and I was warm and happy.   This year I'm having to make some minor adjustments.  But I thought I'd look back on some costumes of years past, which I pieced together mostly from Michael's and my closet.

I'm a Tree!

It's pretty simple.  I'm wearing a brown dress and I'm covered in fall leaf garland from Michael's.  Some people thought I was an autumn nymph or something, but I really wasn't even going for something that cute.  

I'm Princess Lolly!

This one took a little more elbow grease, i.e. hot glue gunning.  I bought a tiara at Michael's and a bag of lollipops at the dollar store (the kind you got at the doctor's office or in the bank drive-through, not those fancy ones with bubble gum in them or whatever).  Then I glued the lollipops to the tiara.

For the giant lollipop, you put a small dowel into a styrofoam round and cover it with colored cellophane and tie it with ribbon.  

Note my partners in crime are also Candy Land characters: Lord Licorice and and Mr. Mint

I'm Little Red Riding Hood!
Okay, so this is probably the biggest cop out, because I just bought the cape on Amazon.  It was going to be cuter when Jake was going to be a modern Big Bad Wolf by getting a grey workman's shirt with one of those embroidered name things that says: B. B. Wolfe.  Now he's  going to be the Russian Oligarch from the DirecTV commercials "I also like savingz me ze moneyz."  Pictures to come shortly.  

The problem, of course, is the forecast.  So I'm thinking a red pea coat and jeans might have to be Little Red's new attire.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment