Saturday, October 11, 2014

Finding the Bagels, At Long Last



Since moving to New York, I've had two totally random run-ins with Vassar alums I sort of know.  Both of whom, upon hearing where we live (Kips Bay), have extolled the virtues of Ess-a-Bagel.  While the Vassar run-ins are commonplace - where do hipsters from a liberal arts college in the Hudson Valley flock?  The two recommendations, among the hundreds of bagel places, struck me as more than mere coincidence.

So we went to check it out.  And what we got was a bagel as big as our heads in a bakery that managed to be, in true New York fashion, both pretentious and no-nonsense.  I was curtly informed that they do not toast their bagels.  I was quickly handed two bagels, meticulously wrapped in origami-like white paper.

When we got home and unwrapped our bounty we saw that the bagels were about one and a half times the thickness of a regular bagel and contained approximately a quarter of a pound of cream cheese.  Jake noted that, even without being toasted, they managed to have the crunchy outside and chewy inside bagel purveyors in Boston seemed unable to achieve.  I noted, at two o'clock that same day, that I still wasn't hungry.

I was so excited to tear into these bagels that I forgot to take a bagel selfie.  Shameful.  So here are some so not as good Google image results to give you a sense of the bagel glory.


No comments:

Post a Comment